AWS Software Migration Service (AWS MGN) can simplify and expedite your migration to AWS by robotically changing your supply servers from bodily, digital, or cloud infrastructure to run natively on AWS. Within the put up, The best way to Use the New AWS Software Migration Server for Elevate-and-Shift Migrations, Channy launched us to Software Migration Service and the way to get began.
Through the use of Software Migration Service for migration, you possibly can decrease time-intensive, error-prone handbook processes by automating replication and conversion of your supply servers from bodily, digital, or cloud infrastructure to run natively on AWS. Final 12 months, we launched main enhancements resembling new migration servers grouping, an account-level launch template, and a post-launch actions template.
Right this moment, I’m happy to announce three main updates of Software Migration Service. Right here’s the short abstract for every characteristic launch:
- Import and export – Now you can use Software Migration Service to import your supply atmosphere stock listing to the service from a CSV file. You can too export your supply server stock for reporting functions, offline opinions and updates, integration with different instruments and AWS companies, and performing bulk configuration adjustments by reimporting the stock listing.
- Server migration metrics dashboard – This new dashboard may also help simplify migration venture administration by offering an aggregated view of the migration lifecycle standing of your supply servers
- Extra post-launch modernization actions – On this replace, Software Migration Service added eight further predefined post-launch actions. These actions are utilized to your migrated purposes whenever you launch them on AWS.
Let me share how you should use these options to your migration.
Import and Export
Earlier than we go additional into the import and export options, let’s focus on two ideas inside Software Migration Service: purposes and waves, which you’ll outline when migrating with Software Migration Service. Functions symbolize a bunch of servers. Through the use of purposes, you possibly can outline teams of servers and establish them as an utility. Inside your utility, you possibly can carry out numerous actions with Software Migration Service, resembling monitoring, specifying tags, and performing bulk operations, for instance, launching take a look at cases. Moreover, you possibly can group your purposes into waves, which symbolize a bunch of servers which are migrated collectively, as a part of your migration plan.
With the import characteristic, now you can import your stock listing in CSV type into Software Migration Service. This makes it simple so that you can handle giant scale-migrations, and ingest your stock of supply servers, purposes and waves, together with their attributes.
To start out utilizing the import characteristic, I have to establish my servers and utility stock. I can do that manually, or utilizing discovery instruments. The subsequent factor I have to do is obtain the import template which I can entry from the console.
After I downloaded the import template, I can begin mapping from my stock listing into this template. Whereas mapping my stock, I can group associated servers into purposes and waves. I can even carry out configurations, resembling defining Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) launch template settings, and specifying tags for every wave.
The next screenshot is an instance of the outcomes of my import template:
The subsequent step is to add my CSV file to an Amazon Easy Storage Service (Amazon S3) bucket. Then, I can begin the import course of from the Software Migration Service console by referencing the CSV file containing my stock listing that I’ve uploaded to the S3 bucket.
When the import course of is full, I can see the small print of the import outcomes.
I can import stock for servers that don’t have an agent put in, or haven’t but been found by agentless replication. Nonetheless, to duplicate information, I would like to make use of agentless replication, or set up the AWS Replication Agent on my supply servers.
Now I can view all my stock contained in the Supply servers, Functions and Waves pages on the Software Migration Service console. The next is a screenshot for just lately imported waves.
As well as, with the export characteristic, I can export my supply servers, purposes, and waves together with all configurations that I’ve outlined right into a CSV file.
That is useful if you wish to do reporting or offline opinions, or for bulk enhancing earlier than reimporting the CSV file into Software Migration Service.
Server Migration Metrics Dashboard
We beforehand supported a migration metrics dashboard for purposes and waves. On this launch, we’ve particularly added a migration metrics dashboard for servers. Now you possibly can view aggregated overviews of your server’s migration course of on the Software Migration Service dashboard. Three subjects can be found within the migration metrics dashboard:
- Alerts – Exhibits related alerts for respective servers.
- Knowledge replication standing – Exhibits the replication information overview standing for supply servers. Right here, you get a fast overview of the lifecycle standing of the replication information course of.
- Migration lifecycle – Exhibits an outline of the migration lifecycle from supply servers.
Extra Predefined Submit-launch Modernization Actions
Submit-launch actions permit you to management and automate actions carried out after your servers have been launched in AWS. You should use predefined or use customized post-launch actions.
Software Migration Service now has eight further predefined post-launch actions to run in your EC2 cases on prime of the present 4 predefined post-launch actions. These further post-launch actions give you flexibility to maximise your migration expertise.
The brand new further predefined post-launch actions are as follows:
- Convert MS-SQL license – You possibly can simply convert Home windows MS-SQL BYOL to an AWS license utilizing the Home windows MS-SQL license conversion motion. The launch course of consists of checking the SQL version (Enterprise, Customary, or Net) and utilizing the suitable AMI with the suitable billing code.
- Create AMI from occasion – You possibly can create a brand new Amazon Machine Picture (AMI) out of your Software Migration Service launched occasion.
- Improve Home windows model – This characteristic permits you to simply improve your migrated server to Home windows Server 2012 R2, 2016, 2019, or 2022. You possibly can see the complete listing of obtainable OS variations on AWSEC2-CloneInstanceAndUpgradeWindows web page.
- Conduct EC2 connectivity checks – You possibly can conduct community connectivity checks to a predefined listing of ports and hosts utilizing the EC2 connectivity verify characteristic.
- Validate quantity integrity – You should use this characteristic to make sure that Amazon Elastic Block Retailer (Amazon EBS) volumes on the launched occasion are the identical dimension because the supply, correctly mounted on the EC2 occasion, and accessible.
- Confirm course of standing – You possibly can validate the method standing to make sure that processes are in a working state after occasion launch. You have to to supply an inventory of processes that you just wish to confirm and specify how lengthy the service ought to wait earlier than testing begins. This characteristic helps you to do the wanted validations robotically and saves time by not having to do them manually.
- CloudWatch agent set up – Use the Amazon CloudWatch agent set up characteristic to put in and arrange the CloudWatch agent and Software Insights options.
- Be a part of Listing Service area – You possibly can simplify the AWS be part of area course of through the use of this characteristic. For those who select to activate this motion, your occasion will likely be managed by the AWS Cloud Listing (as a substitute of on premises).
Issues to Know
Consider the next:
- Up to date UI/UX – Now we have up to date the person interface with card structure and desk structure view for the motion listing on the Software Migration Service console. This replace lets you decide which post-launch actions are appropriate to your use case . Now we have additionally added filter choices to make it simple to seek out related actions by working system, class, and extra.
- Help for added OS variations – Software Migration Service now helps CentOS 5.5 and later and Crimson Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.5 and later working programs.
- Availability – These options can be found now, and you can begin utilizing them at present in all Areas the place Software Migration Service is supported.
Get Began Right this moment
Go to the Software Migration Service Consumer Information web page to study extra about these options and perceive the pricing. You can too go to Getting began with AWS Software Migration Service to study extra about the way to get began emigrate your workloads.