VMware introduced the supply of the migration instrument emigrate an on-prem VMware Cloud Director deployment to VMware Cloud Director service in November 2022.
This weblog will show tips on how to carry out a migration of an on-prem VMware Cloud Director deployment to VMware Cloud Director service utilizing the migration instrument offered by VMware, as defined within the documentation How Do I Migrate from On-premises VMware Cloud Director to VMware Cloud Director service by Utilizing the Migration Device.
An outline of the steps required is:
- Setup the necessities to run the migration instrument if this shall be carried out from a Home windows machine
- Create a migration.properties file to learn into the migration instrument
- Run the migration instrument (obtain the most recent model from https://github.com/vmware-samples/cloud-director-service-migration and extract to the host you’ll carry out the migration from
Earlier than operating the migration instrument, you will have to put in the required packages for Linux or on Home windows, use a shell resembling cygwin to run the instrument. The under directions show the migration instrument on Home windows utilizing cygwin. For a full listing of the migration instrument necessities, see Migration Device Conditions.
For cygwin set up curl, jq, zip, ssh, scp, sshpass, and md5sum.
Create a Migration Properties File
You shouldn’t have to create the migration.properties file to do a migration, but it surely makes it simpler to see the information in a file, and if it’s important to rerun the script for any motive, you don’t must preserve retyping the identical info in.
For cygwin, within the default location when opening it, CD to /tmp and create the file known as migration.properties. File within the following keys and their corresponding values:
- SITE_NAME – that is the VMware Cloud Director website identify that shall be migrated, resembling vcd-site1
- SITE_ADMIN_USERNAME – this might typically be the administrator account
- IS_APPLIANCE – tells the instrument whether or not the VMware Cloud Director is an equipment deployment
- CSP_ORG_ID – that is the lengthy org ID of your group within the VMware portal. For extra info on tips on how to discover this info, see
- CSP_ORG_REFRESH_TOKEN – that is the token generated within the VMware portal to make use of for operating duties resembling associations, migrations, and different capabilities. For extra info, see How Do I Generate an API Token.
- CELL_USERNAME – this might typically be root
- DBHOST_USERNAME – this might typically be root
Right here is an instance of a migration.properties file stuffed out.
Notice that in case your VMware Cloud Director occasion shouldn’t be publicly obtainable, resembling a lab occasion for dev/check/UAT, you will have so as to add one further line to the migration.properties file. The migration instrument connects to VCD to confirm the model earlier than trying a migration and does so by connecting to the general public DNS identify listed within the migration.properties file, so if it’s not publicly obtainable, add the road under with the doable values within the hyperlink. You will have to exchange model with the most important model quantity being migrated, resembling 10.3, 10.4, and so forth.
Beneath is an instance of my stuffed out migration.properties file with UPGRADE_CATEGORY added because the VCD occasion shouldn’t be publicly obtainable.
In case you run the migration script and it fails for any motive previous the purpose the place it begins studying within the migration.properties file, you will have to open the properties file and re-add the road for UPGRADE_CATEGORY as it will likely be eliminated.
As soon as the migration.properties file has been accomplished, reserve it and open your cygwin bash or which ever bash you might be utilizing. Navigate to the folder that the migration instrument was extracted to and run the script by operating ./migrate.sh.
The script will immediate you line by line to just accept the values that have been entered within the migration.properties file, or if the file doesn’t exist, you will have to manually enter the knowledge when prompted.
- Migration properties file discovered, want to reuse. Enter y to learn within the entries from the properties file.
- On-prem VCD website FQDN identify (discovered: name_from_file). Enter y to make use of the worth from the properties file.
- On-prem VCD admin person identify (discovered: admin_user). Enter y to make use of the worth from the properties file.
- Enter admin password for for on-prem VCD website name_from_file. Enter the password for the admin account specified to connect with VCD.
- Is VCD name_from_file equipment based mostly? Enter y to specify it’s an equipment based mostly VCD.
- Username for cell name_from_file discovered. Enter y to make use of the person specified within the file.
- Enter password for cell name_from_file. Enter the password the account specified to connect with the VCD equipment.
- CSP ORG ID discovered csp_org_from_file. Enter y to make use of the org id specified within the file.
- CSP ORG refresh token discovered token_from_file. Enter y to make use of the CSP org token specified within the file.
- Enter CDI Identify emigrate: This would be the identify of the CDS occasion within the VMware portal. Enter the identify you would like the CDS to be known as. Notice that this would be the website identify inside VCD as nicely.
Within the display screen shot under, you may see that you will want to reply every questions per line.
The migration instrument will acquire the database info from the VCD database cell, add it to an S3 bucket, create the CDS occasion and import the database dump to the brand new occasion. You’ll be able to see within the display screen shot above on the final line within the backside purple field that it’s dumping the database from vcd-01a.corp.native to organize to add it to an S3 bucket.
As soon as the database dump has accomplished, the script will add the recordsdata to an S3 bucket to be imported to create the CDS occasion. Within the display screen shot under, the highest purple field reveals that the recordsdata have been collected, then efficiently uploaded. The underside purple field reveals that VMware Cloud Director on prem equipment that’s being migrated is put into upkeep mode to keep away from adjustments within the configuration between the migration and the CDS occasion coming on-line.
It’s best to now see the CDS occasion that was migrated with the identify offered in the course of the migration.