Renesas Electronics Company has launched AE5 technology of Si IGBTs for EV inverters. The AE5 course of for IGBTs has a smaller footprint and better effectivity making it appropriate for space-constrained power-intensive purposes. The AE5 IGBTs provide one of many highest ranges of efficiency and a excessive degree of security by minimizing parameter variations among the many IGBTs and offering stability when working a number of IGBTs in a parallel configuration. The IGBTs are available in 4 fashions able to withstanding 220A and 300A at 750 V and 150A and 200A at 1200 V. The AE5 provides a 50% discount within the temperature dependence of gate resistance (Rg). This minimizes switching losses at excessive temperatures, spike voltage at low temperatures and quick circuit stand up to time, supporting high-performance designs.
In line with the corporate, the silicon-based AE5 for IGBTs provides a ten% discount in energy loss and measurement in comparison with the earlier technology of IGBTs. Furthermore, the brand new IGBTs have a ten% greater present density in comparison with typical merchandise which may improve energy saving and thus guarantee the next driving vary for the EVs. The brand new IGBTs are stated to have decrease parameter variations between the IGBTs thus providing considerably greater efficiency and security as modules when working in parallel configurations. These options present engineers better flexibility to design smaller inverters that obtain excessive efficiency.
“Demand for automotive energy semiconductors is quickly rising, as EVs change into extra broadly obtainable,” stated Katsuya Konishi, Vice President of Renesas’ Energy System Enterprise Division. “Renesas’ IGBTs present extremely dependable, sturdy energy options that construct on our expertise in manufacturing automotive-grade energy merchandise for the final seven years. With the most recent units quickly to be in mass manufacturing, we’re offering optimum options and value efficiency for mid-range EV inverters which might be anticipated to develop quickly sooner or later.”
Key Options of AE5 IGBT:
- Regular efficiency all through the working junction temperature (Tj) vary from -40°C to 175°C
- Business’s highest efficiency degree with an on-voltage Vce (saturation voltage) of 1.3V, a key worth for minimizing energy loss
- 10% greater present density in comparison with typical merchandise and small chip measurement (100mm2/300A) optimized for low energy losses and excessive enter resistance
- Steady parallel operation by lowering parameter variations to VGE(off) to ±0.5V
- Maintains reverse bias protected working space (RBSOA) with a most Ic present pulse of 600A at 175°C junction temperatures, and a extremely sturdy quick circuit stand up to time of 4µs at 400V.
- 50% discount within the temperature dependence of gate resistance (Rg). This minimizes switching losses at excessive temperatures, spike voltage at low temperatures and quick circuit stand up to time, supporting high-performance designs.
- Obtainable as a naked die (wafer)
- Permits a discount in inverter energy losses, enhancing energy effectivity by as much as 6% in comparison with the present AE4 course of on the identical present density, permitting EVs to drive longer distances and use fewer batteries.