Skydio pilots are leveraging Skydio 3D Scan for an enormous variety of purposes. From shut inspections of utility belongings to digital twin seize of bridges to accident scene reconstruction, operators geared up with autonomous drones are capturing higher information quicker than they ever realized they may.
In October of final yr, Skydio launched the primary important characteristic addition of 3D Scan: 2D GPS Seize. This top-down mission planner permits groups to simply seize and generate 2D stitched photos (orthomosaics). In the present day, we’re excited to announce the subsequent distinguished characteristic set addition to 3D Scan. In our newest launch accessible to present 3D Scan Clients, we’ve expanded the capabilities of 2D seize with a set of recent mapping options that allow enterprises to get higher information quicker and safer.
- Repeat 2D GPS Captures: simplifies mission planning for recurring flights on the identical web site in order that operators can fly, save, and repeat a flight plan with most effectivity.
- 2D GPS Night time Flight with Skydio X2: permits emergency response groups to carry out mapping missions at night time on artificially lit scenes reasonably than ready for daylight.
- 2D Upward Seize: streamlines the info seize workflow and permits groups to seize the underside of infrastructure, reminiscent of the underside of a bridge or inside roofs of a warehouse.
Save & Repeat 2D GPS Captures
The important thing to scaling drone inspections is making a easy, repeatable workflow that any operator can make the most of. Recurring inspections with drones on an everyday cadence are commonplace within the building, telecom, utilities, and transportation industries to trace infrastructure well being, mitigate danger, and simplify asset administration.
The newest 3D Scan launch introduces the flexibility to save lots of a scan after completion, streamlining the workflow for pilots that recurrently fly the identical websites with related flight parameters such because the scan space, flight altitude, and overlap settings.
To save lots of a scan, merely create a scan within the map-based interface and conduct the flight. You’ll have the choice to save lots of the scan to your Scan Library upon completion. Saved scans are accessible within the Scan Library underneath the Maps and Libraries tab, the place you may select a saved scan to assessment all earlier settings and make changes earlier than initiating a flight.
Import and Export Saved Scans with Ease
Whether or not you might have an present scan you’re planning to import, otherwise you’d prefer to export a scan you’ve in-built 3D Scan, now you can import and export scan .mission recordsdata seamlessly. Saved scans are saved within the native folder accessible by way of your system’s “Recordsdata” app and may be exported to any folder in your system or an exterior flash drive.
Map Scenes at Night time with the X2
When a roadway accident happens, time is of the essence. Passenger security is of the utmost significance, however the next steps to capturing the incident and clearing the roadway are equally important. In keeping with a 2020 research carried out by the Nationwide Security Council (NSC), a disproportionate quantity of crashes, roughly 59%, happen between 4 pm – 4 am.
With our newest replace for the Skydio X2, new performance in 3D Scan’s seize modes introduces 2D GPS Night time Flight, the flexibility to carry out 2D GPS Captures at night time, enabling accident scene reconstruction groups to examine artificially lit crash scenes all through the night time.
There are two methods to provoke a 2D GPS Night time Flight with the X2:
- Allow GPS Night time Flight inside your settings and begin the flight by choosing “Start Scan.” On-screen messaging will notify you that Impediment Avoidance is disabled.
- If the drone senses inadequate gentle throughout a scan, you’ll obtain a immediate with a security disclaimer to change to GPS Night time Flight and resume the scan or take management of the drone.
Examine the Underside of Constructions with 2D Upward Seize
You’ve spoken, and we’ve heard you loud and clear. Skydio drones are the best device for inspecting bridges with the flexibility to fly in obstacle-dense, GPS-denied environments. Nonetheless, mapping the underside of infrastructure like the underside of a bridge deck with constant overlap is a problem – till now.
Whether or not you might be inspecting the underside of a bridge, imaging a parking storage ceiling, or assessing inside roofs, now you can leverage Skydio drones with the digicam going through upward to map the underside of constructions higher, quicker, and safer.
- Higher – get higher high quality information working in GPS-denied environments with constant overlap to generate high-quality orthomosaics.
- Sooner – automate the info seize course of and distance your self from inefficient, handbook information assortment strategies that sacrifice high quality for security.
- Safer – Keep away from placing staff in probably hazardous conditions or crashes with costly handbook drones.
The 2D Seize workflow is not going to change. Operators will proceed to outline the Scan Floor and limits the identical means they might throughout a typical 2D Seize. Nonetheless, Skydio will now robotically face the digicam upward when it detects the drone’s top is beneath the user-specified Scan Floor.
“We’re proud to see our abilities evolve and enhance by way of suggestions from our clients. 2D Upward Seize is a good instance of how the Skydio 3D scan suite continuously expands its capabilities, and the way a realm beforehand identified to be very troublesome to succeed in and function in, is being reworked into an automatic, environment friendly, and protected workflow.”
Product Supervisor at Skydio
We proceed to associate with our Skydio clients and pilots to make sure they get essentially the most attainable out of their plane. For now, we look ahead to seeing new, unbelievable orthomosaics captured in additional advanced environments than another drone can enter. In the event you’re all in favour of studying extra or want to join with a member of our crew, don’t hesitate to get in contact.